Important Information for those traveling into Canada!!

First Joint Meeting of CAIMS and SIAM
24th Annual Meeting of CAIMS/SCMAI
2003 SIAM Annual Meeting

Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, Montreal, QC, Canada
June 16-20, 2003

Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth
900 Rene Levesque Boulevard West
Montreal QC H3B 4A5
Direct Telephone: (514) 861-3511
Fax: (514) 954-2296
Reservations: 1 (800) 441-1414

Note: A passport is *highly recommended* for U.S. visitors entering Canada. U.S. citizens should have their birth certificate or citizenship certificate as well as a picture ID; permanent residents (who are not citizens) need their alien-registration card and passport. Citizens from all countries other than the U.S. must have a valid passport, and in some cases a visitor visa may be required.

Identification and Currency Exchange
Citizens and legal residents of the US do not need passports, but they are preferred. Native-born US citizens should have a birth or voter’s certificate showing citizenship and photo identification. Naturalized citizens need a naturalization certificate or other evidence of citizenship. Permanent residents (non US citizens) need their alien registration cards.

Attendees coming from countries other than the United States may require a visa to enter Canada. When making your travel plans be sure to consult with the Canadian Consulate or Embassy in your country to determine whether a visa is required.

Every 30 days, returning US residents are allowed to take back $400 (retail value) worth of duty-free merchandise provided they have been out of the US for 48 hours.

US funds can be changed into Canadian funds at any bank or exchange house; some identification may be required. Most places accept American currency, but banks and exchange houses give the best exchange rate. Other foreign currency needs to be changed at “special exchange houses” located at the airport and train station. Ask your hotel concierge for other locations. Credit cards are accepted almost everywhere.

Goods and Services Tax
The goods and services tax (GST) is a 7% tax that is charged on most goods and services sold or provided in Canada. Foreign visitors to Canada can apply for a rebate on the GST paid on accommodations (up to 30 nights per visit) and on goods purchased in Canada and subsequently exported within 60 days of purchase. Remember to save all your receipts! We will supply all registered meeting attendees with information regarding the “Tax Refund For Visitors” program.

Shipment of Conference Material
Mendelssohn has been appointed official customs broker and freight forwarder/transportation provider for the CAIMS/SIAM Meeting at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel, Montreal, June 16-20, 2003. If for any reason you are going to ship materials to this conference, please contact Mike Patterson of Mendelssohn regarding customs clearance at or (514) 987-2700 Ext. 24. Even though Canada may be your next door neighbor, when goods cross borders, there are still some bureacracy and paperwork to be attended to.

Enclose a “commercial Invoice” with your Waybill. (Available from your Courier company). Describe the goods (this includes your laptop or mobile phone), the value in U.S. dollars and the Country of manufacture. If your goods are being sent or brought to Canada for the conference and will be returned to the U.S., type a statement stating this on your Commercial Invoice.

Do not ask SIAM about shipping goods into Canada; please go directly to Mendelssohn, our Canadian customs broker.

Created 8/20/02
Edited 3/4/03